Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey guys,

currently, on my computer, I am running windows vista home premium. I don not have virtual box installed and I really want to get Ubuntu on my computer without getting rid of Windows Vista, would I need to install virtualbox, also, do I need to have Linux to run Ubuntu, or are they completely different things?

As you can probably tell, I am really new to all of this "getting a new OS on your computer type stuff"

So can someone please explain everything to me?

Thanks,
Jordan

O

opensource_archive

Hi Jordan
If you burn the ISO image of Ubuntu to a CD/DVD you can do a WUBI install, which installs Ubuntu inside Windows as a child Operating System, Vista will not be affected and you can uninstall it as if it were a Windows Application.

If you dont have a CD spare then use the Daemon tools to mount the ISO image.

Ok if you want to install a new Opearting system on your PC, then generally you need to partition your Hard Disk. In other words seperating the hard Disk into 2 parts, 3 parts etc. You can install Another Operating system onto another partition, and keep Vista on the main partition. With two Operating systems installed you get a choice at Boot which one you wish to boot, as you cant have two Opearting systems running at the same time.

But with Linux distributions they install a Boot manager called GRUB for example (In debians case) and not the MS Boot Manager. Linux has two partitions for one Operating system. One ext3 which is the main filesystem and a SWAP AREA partition (Both non-detectable by Windows). This can cause damage to Recovery partitions if done incorrectly. Installing a Linux system on OEM machines can have a bad affect. e.g. TATTOO of a Packard Bell being wiped.

Hope this helps Jordan.

Reactions
0 0 0
If you install using wubi you don't need a disk at all. You just need to download wubi from www.wubi-installer.org, choose how much space you want it to have (you can download a program on ubuntu later which can make that bigger if you run out) and then click install/ok (whatever it says) then it'll download everything for you, install it for you and it'll boot up into ubuntu. If you decide you don't want it installed anymore, just go into vista's remove programs thing and choose to remove ubuntu.

I am still not that sure. Someone please give me step-by-steps on links to download. What to do etc?

Reecebullet

GrandMaster
GrandMaster Poster
Reactions
4 0 0
Can someone give me the SPEC's please for running Ubuntu?
Because I MIGHT make the switch :relaxed:

Also, I am running XP :relaxed:

Reece, if you make the switch. And it is sucessful, tell me exactly what you did. And I might do it too XD

Reactions
0 0 0
you can install in virtualbox
                        in wubi
                      or by dualbooting with vista

szabo.tihamer link said:
you can install in virtualbox
                        in wubi
                       or by dualbooting with vista
I think I will try in virtual box XD

Spider

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
Just dual boot, download an iso torrent from the internet. Burn it to a disk or use daemon tools to put the iso image in the drive and re-boot your system and boot from that drive, or burn the iso to a blank disk and restart your system and boot from cd and then follow the onscreen instructions. Then when you turn your system open you will have the option to load Windows Or Ubuntu.

The easier option is to download Wubi which requires no disk's or iso's but can turn out to get errors. You can download wubi from http://wubi-installer.org/ and just run the program and it has a easy boot loader when you turn your pc on.

-Spider

I

Infrasound

Use the wubi installer to install ubuntu if you're a newbie, because partitioning can be a real pain.

Ubuntu, Mandriva, openSUSE, etc, etc...are Linux distributions.

Linux is like an open source community.

walkinpp

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
You should try Wubi. Google it.

Duncan

AKA mobilephone2003
Reactions
169 1 0
Looks like this has been answered over and over. Locked :relaxed:

Status