Are laptops any good?

Reactions
26 0 0
Hey I just wanted to get your opinion on laptops

I used to have a laptop that was on XP it went fast at first but then after a few weeks of use it started to slow down and it really was crap, the ventaltion systems on laptops are rubbish, all the small parts inside a laptop are crap and they slow down computers

errr the laptop cost about £1000 >:pensive:

J

JustPoo

Laptops are as good as you want them to be, provided you spend enough money on the right one.

If you buy a cheap laptop, it'll be made from cheap components and the chances are it will be slow, hot and unreliable.

I have two cheap laptops, they work, but they're crap. I also have an expensive one and it's better than most desktops.

It's the same with anything, you get what you pay for.

Reecebullet

GrandMaster
GrandMaster Poster
Reactions
4 0 0
If your someone who can stay at home, then there is no need to get a laptop, were if your someone who still needs to get to a Computer, but your on the go, and moving around a lot, then a laptop is good, but as everyone else has said, to get a decent laptop, you need to spend a lot of money

I agree with Reecebullet. I think that laptops are great when you know what you want and are willing to pay for it. There is no point getting any old laptop for a low price and then needing a new one 3 months later. You are better off buying one for good money, know why you want it, and have for a long time.

shooter19

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
Rimzy2k link said:
No They Break easy !! and the mouse is differnt
Get a usb mouse

shooter19

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
I prefer laptops to pcs because I think desktops take up too much room in my opinion whilst with laptops if you need to go somewhere else in your house its simple you just unplug the lead as with a pc you would need to take out the mouse and you cant really go anywhere with it anytime you want.

Although pcs are better for upgrading parts like graphics cards, hard drives eg but with laptops you can only upgrade ram and thats it :pensive:

Reecebullet

GrandMaster
GrandMaster Poster
Reactions
4 0 0
shooter19 link said:
I prefer laptops to pcs because I think desktops take up too much room in my opinion whilst with laptops if you need to go somewhere else in your house its simple you just unplug the lead as with a pc you would need to take out the mouse and you cant really go anywhere with it anytime you want.

Although pcs are better for upgrading parts like graphics cards, hard drives eg but with laptops you can only upgrade ram and thats it :pensive:
It depends how much space you have, and if you need it portable
I like having a PC because all of it is much simpler updated and can be easily customized

Reactions
0 0 0
laptops are good if u get a realy good 1 .. i personaly dont like laptops i love desktops so much i could neva switch 2 a laptop

Reecebullet

GrandMaster
GrandMaster Poster
Reactions
4 0 0
computerboardkid link said:
laptops are good if u get a realy good 1 .. i personaly dont like laptops i love desktops so much i could neva switch 2 a laptop
I have one of each of them, and PC is better :smiley:

Reactions
0 0 0
Desktops.

You need to spend a fair amount to get a good laptop, and the only thing you can upgrade is the RAM, which is not very useful if it comes with (And trust me, most of them do) a crappy graphics card.

And now that most laptops come with Vista, you REALLY can't afford to pay the low end ones, and you'll just regret buying it.

Spider

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
In my opinion i prefer Desktops, in my house i have 2 laptops(1 Good, 1 Bad), and a very poor desktop computer. But i prefer desktop computers as they are alot cheaper and have less chance of over heating like laptops, to prevent it from over heating you have to buy like one of them stand things which most likely makes it a desktop pc, just mouse and keyboard are different(When you can go out spend the same amount as you payed for the latop, and get a desktop which is twice as better as the laptop.)

Like everybody else is saying if you have the money laptops are better, but most likely if your buying it for games you will be buying a new graphics card for it cause most grahpic cards that come with laptops are very poor. If you know what you want then buy a laptop.

-Spider

Reactions
0 0 0
Yes they are but with what everyone else said its not going to be cheap my laptop was 500 $ but then again its better than my sisters desktop.

Duncan

Administrator
Reactions
169 1 0
This is my opinion on the question of "Are Laptops any good"

Its a broad question, there are a number of laptops available that are a range of prices and have a range of hardware.

Comparing the prices with desktops, you'll find that the desktops are cheaper, but with a laptop you get everything built in (mouse, speakers, microphone and recently webcams). On top of that, you can take your computer with you anywhere and with wireless networks, USB 3G Modems and GPRS phones, you can connect to the internet anywhere on top of that.

You can say that the graphics suck in a laptop but that varies on the laptop, although a large proportion of them have integrated graphics (including this one) it is enough for people to work on. Bigger graphics = less battery life + more chance of a bigger screen which means less portability.

So it depends on if you need to compute on the go, and if you are willing to spend a little bit more for the luxury.

Reactions
0 0 0
Duncan link said:
This is my opinion on the question of "Are Laptops any good"

Its a broad question, there are a number of laptops available that are a range of prices and have a range of hardware.

Comparing the prices with desktops, you'll find that the desktops are cheaper, but with a laptop you get everything built in (mouse, speakers, microphone and recently webcams). On top of that, you can take your computer with you anywhere and with wireless networks, USB 3G Modems and GPRS phones, you can connect to the internet anywhere on top of that.

You can say that the graphics suck in a laptop but that varies on the laptop, although a large proportion of them have integrated graphics (including this one) it is enough for people to work on. Bigger graphics = less battery life + more chance of a bigger screen which means less portability.

So it depends on if you need to compute on the go, and if you are willing to spend a little bit more for the luxury.
Laptops come with mics?!?! When was this?